Awards for two of the biggest titans of television right now would have to go to AMC’s The Walking Dead and HBO’s Game of Thrones. Sorry Doctor Who fans but you were nowhere to be seen at SDCC, Breaking Bad is finished, and True Blood…….well okay….that’s a big show too I guess.
We lined up at 5am in hopes of securing a seat in the legendary Hall H at SDCC, which turned out to be totally worth it. We made it in! First up on our schedule was The Walking Dead!
THE WALKING DEAD
Talking Dead host, Nerdist kingpin, and fanboy Chris Hardwick came out to moderate the panel and as usual just added the fun in his own signature way.
After briefly talking with the show’s brainchildern including Executive Producer Scott Gimple and Robert Kirkman, Hardwick brings out the group we had all been waiting for. Andrew Lincoln, Steven Yeun, Lauren Cohan, Michael Cudlitz, Danai Gurira, Melissa McBride, Chad Coleman, Emily Kinney, and Norman Reedus. The crowd goes nuts and of course further proceeds to break the sound barrier when Reedus walks out.
The group starts talking about what they do to prepare and the ride they’ve been on coming into season 5 of the TWD.
- EP and writer for the show Scott Gimple hints that we’ll “learn more of the story of Terminus…..and that the season itself will contain more elements from the comics, including locations.”
- Q: What’s the difference between playing old Rick versus new Rick? LINCOLN “It’s definitely good to get my gun back and get dirty and bloody!”
- Q: Going back to the evolution of Glenn from the beginning to how is now, it seems that the apocalypse kinda made a man out of Glenn huh? YEUN “Yeah I’d say he’s learned a lot……he’s got more to fight for now.”
- Q: If there’s ever a cure found. can these characters ever really go back to a regular life? COHAN “Maybe. I don’t know. I’d kinda like to open a school!”
<Hardwick walks over to Melissa McBride (Carol) and hands her a bouquet of flowers, McBride takes them and gets up and goes along the back of every cast member on stage with her and tries to give them to someone. They all turn their back to her or look elsewhere to avoid looking at the flowers. Finally Reedus succumbs to the flowers.>
- Q: So what’s Beth been up to? She was taken away right? KINNEY “I cant’ really say anything other than she’s a lot stronger now. Especially having spent time with and getting trained by Daryl.”
<They start talking about Carl a little and then in a surprise gesture, Chandler Riggs walks out onto the stage and takes a seat at the end of the panel next Norman Reedus. He’s brought with him the large canister of he infamous chocolate pudding.>