Dominic Cooper was a guest at Houston’s Comicpalooza over the weekend and we were NOT going to miss his panel.
Of course, many of us associate Cooper with his roles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Howard Stark (Tony Stark’s father) and Preacher (Jesse Custer), but it turns out he is also an accomplished stage actor and has been in some musicals.
Here are some photos from the panel. Click on any image for a larger version, complete with sharing options
The Q&A during the panel was a “back and forth” between the moderator and fans in the audience. We didn’t record the entire panel, but here are a few of our favorite moments”
- Dominic’s first words were “How are you? … Houston’s cool!” which was met with laughter, since the temps outside the convention center certainly reached close to 100 degrees that day. “That’s the wrong word” he said.
- Dominic eventually studied at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA). He confessed “I was pretty useless in my school, in fact I was terrible” but he gravitated toward the drama department. “The idea that (acting) could be a job or a means to earning a living was completely out of the question, I thought.”
- Several fans asked when Dominic might return to the stage and he replied “Terrifyingly, any second now. I go back to London and start rehearsing for a play called Libertine, which was made into a film a few years ago, with Johnny Depp in it….. I’ve got loads of lines to learn, and big words, that I don’t know the meaning of.”
- The moderator and fans REALLY wanted Dominic to sing. Eventually, one young lady convinced Cooper to sing a number from Mamma Mia! with her. They sang along for a few minutes and the fans loved it. You can watch on YouTube here.
- Cooper also revealed that his dream role would be to play James Bond. He actually played Ian Fleming (007 creator) in a series called Fleming in 2014. If he got the chance to play Bond, Dominic said his version “obviously can’t be the person that Fleming did write about, because he’d be perceived as such a horrible person, but definitely some of the real darkness behind him and what he’s like. His life is very lonely, it’s a very unloved existence…. So a really horrible one” he joked.