SDCC 2014 – The Friday panels rolled on & up next in Hall H was another of our favorite shows ..
GAME OF THRONES
I was late coming into the Realm of Westeros but once I started season one of Game of Thrones, I was hooked and just binged watched them all! I wasn’t at their panel last year but I made sure to be in attendance this year.
The GOT panel couldn’t have begun in a more amusing way: a hilarious gag reel of season four with lots of Tyrion dancing in the end! Dry humor funnyman Craig Ferguson was the moderator who brought out showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss first then the gang all followed: Pedro Pascal, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Gwendoline Christie, Rory McCann, Maisie Williams, the godfather of GOT himself….George R.R. Martin, Natalie Dormer, Sophie Turner, Kit Harrington, Rose Leslie, and John Bradley.
To our dismay, Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke were not in attendance. We know Clarke is Louisiana filming Terminator Genisys (yeah we can’t get over that spelling either) and we assume Dinklage is doing the same with Pixels. Nonetheless, there lots to discuss among the group, great questions, great answers, and of course the usual “sex question” from a few dumb fans who got escorted out in perfect fashion.
- Q: Are you shooting in Belfast this time around? BENIOFF & WEISS “We are shooting in Belfast but also in Croatia and Spain.”
- Q When you started writing, did you have any idea of you wanted it to be…what direction? MARTIN “I did. I had a twinkle of certain things, like I knew how I wanted Westeros to look and such….”
- Q: There’s been a lot deaths on the show. Does it worry you and the cast when you get the script? WILLIAMS ” <laughs> Yeah it does because we just never know…….I just suck up to David [Benioff] and be really nice to him!”
- Q: What do you do to prepare for your scenes Kit? HARRINGTON “Actually, a lot things are prepared in advance for us so there’s not much I do. The costume…because it’s always so cold….the costume is very important.”
- Q: All the places in Westeros sound very…well they sound like Artisan cheeses. How do you come up with the names? MARTIN “It’s very hard to name place in fantasy and I’m actually running out…”
- Q: Should we read the books before finishing the tv show or vice versa? MARTIN ” <smiles> Watch the show AND read the books. When people talk about which is better….the books versus the show….and they say things like this or that didn’t happen in the books, I always pose the question to them: How many children did Scarlett O’Hara really have? Some people say different numbers but the truth she didn’t have any. Know why? Because she’s a fictional character.