We’ve long heard about the awesomeness that is PAX and the time has finally come for us to attend our first PAX show. The best part about it – this is the very first year for PAX South, which is basically being held in our back yard, San Antonio. We’re more than a little excited that PAX has chosen the Lone Star State for this one and we weren’t about to miss out on the action.
This weekend, January 23 – 25 at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center it all goes down and several members of the Nerd Fu crew, including Sully, Steve & good friend/writer Danny will be on hand to capture all the action.
WHAT IS PAX?
“In 2004, the folks at Penny Arcade decided they wanted a show exclusively for gaming. Sure, comics, anime, and other nerd hobbies were cool, and those activities all had their own shows… so what about games? From that idea spawned a small 4,500 person event in Bellevue, Washington, focused on the culture and community that is gaming.”
Fast forward 10 years and there are now three huge PAX shows, including the original PAX, PAX East and now PAX South. These are hands-down the largest gaming events in North America!
WHAT TO EXPECT AT PAX SOUTH
Honestly, we aren’t quite sure. We’ve scoured the interwebs and, of course, the official website for PAX South and here is what we’ve come up with so far:
- Exhibit Hall – Publishers & developers with unreleased games and hardware.
- Concerts – Nerdcore music (yes, that is a thing) live for attendees
- Console Freeplay – Latest gen & classic consoles with all the titles you can imagine
- Handheld Lounge – Hundreds of beanbags & handheld game systems
- Omegathon – Gaming tournament featuring 20 randomly chosen contestants
- Panels – Web series, lectures, developers, games, games & more games
- PC Area – No explanation needed here. There are still PC gamers, right?
- Tabletop – Not all games are digital. Tabletop gaming is here to stay
Hour by hour. Day by day. This show is PACKED with panels, tournaments, shows and concerts from early to late every day.
View the full weekend schedule here: PAX South Schedule
FOLLOW ALONG WITH NERD FU
Like we said – Nerd Fu will be in attendance at PAX South and we’ll be sharing as much info as possible from the show. Here is a breakdown of all the places you can follow along online:
- Twitter (@theNerdFu) – expect a lot of action here, especially during the panels. It’s quick and easy, so we share a lot!
- Instagram (@theNerdFu) – we love sharing photos and we can guarantee some original images that won’t be seen elsewhere
- Facebook (NerdFu) – expect a few posts to show up on your timeline each day and give us a like, comment & share – every interaction helps us out
- tumblr (theNerdFu) – we know you kids like the tumblr, so we post there too – why not?
- TheNerdFu.com – And (of course) we’ll be pulling together some posts when we have a few seconds free! Most posts will come a day or two after the panels. It takes us a little while to catch up.
Click away on the links above and follow/like us to keep up on the action. We hope to bring the excitement of PAX South right to you so you can get the whole experience from home.